Planning: Green Screen Challenge with Adobe Premiere Pro

In this task, I was asked to edit together a few containing a green screen behind a subject, and combine these with a few provided clips as backgrounds. I was given a teacher as the subject with a green screen behind him, as well as an assistant student to lip sync to a song performed by Adele.

To begin putting the green screen to its purpose, I added one of the clips that contained this into the sequence to begin editing.

I added the Ultra Keying effect from the Keying folder and used the pipette tool to pick out the exact green colour from the clip for it to be removed. Additionally, I changed the setting to aggressive because I think it gave much better results compared to its original state.
I was then able to add one of the clips underneath the previous one in the sequence so the removed green screen let the clip underneath show. It appeared as if the teacher was at the stage talking to his audience. But I thought that he was slightly too big for the screen, so I double clicked on the screen so that I was able to change the scale and position of the clip and move the figure to a satisfactory place. I decided to put the figure more towards the right side rather than having him standing in the centre as I didn't like the fact that he moved around so much, which I think would challenge the viewers when he didn't stay still in the centre of the screen.
However, because the green screen was fabric, creases appeared visible, which gave it an unpleasing view. To remove this, I added another effect called Sixteen-Point Garbage Matte to mask out the person on the screen close to the edge so that less creases appeared on the screen. An outline became visible around the frame of the clip. The frame had 16 points, like promised by the effect title, which allowed me to move around the points to the desired places so that I could mask out the unnecessary creases around the figure. This effect also varied in Four-Point and Six-Point, which provides less points to use to mask the figure.
Although it didn't remove everything, and he managed to move around quite a lot, it required for me to leave some space of creases as at moments, body movements took place where most of the time it wasn't necessary. Nevertheless, I managed to keep all of the body on the screen without cutting off any hands etc..

The stage clip was slightly short, so I used one of the tools from the menu called Rate Stretch Tool to extend the clip to a necessary length. This tool stretches the clip, which means it slows down the more you pull on its end, however I only needed a little of extension on the clip, so the animation of it appeared normal.
I wanted to continue the video to where 'Adele' (in this case, a student lip syncing 'Rolling in the Deep') sings her song in one of her music videos. However, I wanted to have a student singing in her place as if to create the effect of her singing by matching the voice with Adele's. I repeated the process of removing the green screen so that I only had the student on the screen. I also moved her more to the right side and minimised the scale so that she didn't take up a lot of the space on the screen as I was planning to edit some of the clips from the original music video to play in the background.


I cut out the scenes from the original music video where Adele was shown on the screen singing, and edited the rest of the clips together so that it looked like it was the student performing to her song with the music video playing in the background. Some clips I wanted to last a little longer than using them in their original state, so I used the Rate Stretch Tool once again to extend their length and make the background video flow with the music.

When observing the footage from the music video, I noticed that in one of the places a clip was slightly brighter when appeared on screen and darkened ever so slightly.
I enjoyed this small effect, although I believe it was achieved more with the camera rather than with the program, I decided to use this idea and apply it to other clips where I believe was suitable. I did this by adding a Brightness / Contrast effect to a clip and used key frames to suggest the starting point, changes points, and ending point so that the effect takes place and shows changes in the brightness of the clip when being played. I decided to have the brightness at around 30 at the beginning of a clip before it tones down a bit for a second. When the clip was running to an end, I wanted the brightness to slowly darken and return the clip to its original state before it changed to the next clip.
During this task, I believe I have learnt quite a skill that can be used for many different effects. Along the way, this task also was like a reminder of the capabilities Premiere Pro has, like the key framing that allows to work with the effect, which I believe may come in handy in the future when producing my own music video. However, I do have a few things to look out for, such as using the green screen and ensuring that it has no creases so that I don't have to worry too much on those appearing on the screen again. Additionally, I will need to produce my own background footage if I'm using the green screen effect.

FINAL OUTCOME