Research: BRTHR FILMS

I discovered a production company named BRTHR FILMS, who produce music videos for not-so known artists in similar situation to my chosen band Glass Animals. The team is made up of two workers; Alex Lee and Kyle Wightman. The music the company have focused on is similar to the genre of my band's, and I was curious to see what sort of elements they included in their music videos. I thought that by viewing through their portfolio will help me generate more ideas for my own media product as both of our target markets are similar and some of the ideas I have thought of before discovering BRTHR FILMS have already been edited by them in similar ways.

Here are a few examples I was very fond of and thought would fit in with my chosen song for my project;

I quite like how at the start of the video the goldfish has been edited to swim in 'red/blue water' instead of using a clear empty tank. I like the twist to this idea as well as the simplicity of it. I'm guessing they added a dark red/blue solid layer on top of the footage of the goldfish swimming in an empty tank and set the opacity of the red layer to multiply. I think that when trying to achieve this effect, you have to get your 'casting' right, as with bright-coloured goldfish would not work. I think the red or blue layer would blend the fish instead and only a few elements of the fish would appear. However, the black fish appears fully on screen as it blends hardly with the multiplied layer. Something I should take account into if I'm going to include this effect in my music video.
I also enjoy the vintage effect the footage includes, such as the dust flicker that often old footage would consist of. Additionally, to add more age to the footage, I believe they used the effect 'noise', which causes the footage to appear grainy. Although in some areas it is only faintly identified, it definitely implies the old footage appeal. I also like the sudden appearances of certain footage, behaving like flashes (like seen in the gif above). They appear to be filmed handheld, so it gives it the effect of house footage, where its been filmed leisurely, like some old family shaky footage you could find in the attic or whatnot.

Another thing is how the clips change in the beat when the song is fast, and when the tempo is slowed down, there are slow transitions between the clips. I think it implies a better connection between the song and the video and creates a compatible atmosphere.

I love the choice of the blue surrounding most of the shadowed areas, and there's a hint of red from a certain angle shone on the cast, which enhances certain features, like their facial expression, generally giving the shot an interesting effect.